It happens. You fancy going for higher speeds but unfortunately, your electric scooter won’t let you. While there are a couple of reasons why an electric scooter is slower than its full potential, the speed limiter could be what’s making yours painfully slow.
Today, one of the Frequently searched topics is, “how to remove speed limiter on electric scooter.” We are genuinely happy to respond to it using our tested and proven tactics.
Simple tips and tricks to remove an electric scooter speed limiter
1) Unplug the speed limiting wire
The speed limiter in an electric scooter is made functional by a speed limiting wire. When you open the speed controller of your electric scooter, you will see several wires and in one of these, there is the speed limiting wire.
Since electric scooters are manufactured differently, the positioning of that wire and its color may vary from one manufacturer or model to the other.
The reason why unplugging the limiting wire or even cutting it off increases the speed is that there is an increase in the flowing of the electricity and more torque in the long run. It is also important to note that the controller and motor burn out faster than when the limiter was present.
Among the electric scooters you can remove the speed limiter by cutting the limiting wires is the Zero 8, Zero 9, and Zero 10X electric scooters.
After you open up the deck casing, simply get a pincer and cut the white cables. You can look at the video below to get a better overview of what we mean.
The great thing about this is that you can always reconnect the wires back should the need be. However, note that some Zero scooter retailers sell their gadgets while they are already unlocked and as such, there is no need to look for the speed limiter – it’s already removed.
To know if a Zero scooter has a speed limiter, check if the speed limit is capped at 16 mph (25km/h).
You can also remove the speed limiter on the Speedway Mini 4 Pro electric scooter by unplugging the white cable from the controller.
Ideally, if your electric scooter has a top speed of 15.5 miles per hour, then the chances are high that the speed limiter can be removed by unplugging the limiting wire.
Another electric scooter that you can remove the speed limiter by unplugging the limiting wire is any Razor model. To go about this:
- Unscrew the scooter’s deck
- Remove the metallic piece that holds the battery in place
- Gently press the pin containing the wires that connect the battery to the speed connectors so that all those plugs can come off
- Open up the speed limiter by unscrewing it
- Remove the metallic platform connecting the speed limiter wires to the e-scooter
- Screw back your Razor scooter and enjoy its full torque and speed.
Also Read: How to make money with an electric scooter
2) The Switch Method
Some models such as the Red Wing electric scooter can have their speed limits unlocked by following what I love describing as the switch method.
To unlock the limiter, these are the processes to follow:
- Switch on the electric scooter as you hold the left brake
- As you keep on holding the left brake, gently pull and release the adjustment lever of the right speed
- Pull the right speed adjustment lever immediately for at least 10 seconds
- Release the right speed control lever and the left brake at the same time once 10 seconds elapse
- Turn off the scooter
- Turn on the scooter and you will have managed to unlock the speed limit. You will notice the top speed going from 16km/h to a top of 45km/hr.
The reason why I call this method the switch method is that you have to switch the scooter on, switch it off after doing the basic operations we have described above, and then switching it on again for ultimate unlocking.
Note that we have only tried this method with the Red Wing electric scooters and are unsure about if the other models can work this way.
3) Hard Reset the Controller’s software
This method works best for locked Xiaomi 1S and Xiaomi M365 electric scooters. For optimal results, you will need to have an Android device.
- Visit the Google Play Store and search for the M365 DownG app, then download and install it on your device
- Go ahead and download the XiaomiM365 Max Speed Firmware
- Open the M365 DownG app you just downloaded and look for “CONNECT” at the left top part so that you can find your electric scooter
- Click on “Check Version” then “Open Bin” and lastly “Flash”
- You have successfully unlocked the speed limiter from your Xiaomi 1S electric scooter.
4) Switch to Sport Mode
Most electric scooters have different speed modes. For some electric scooters such as UScooter Booster, you can find that the configurations are set to a maximum speed of 30km/h but then that speed limit can be unlocked after engaging the speed mode.
To switch to speed mode on electric scooters such as UScooter Booster, follow these steps:
- Switch on the e-scooter’s display
- Gently press and keep on holding the electronic brake
- Tap on the POWER button until the Display showcases P1
- Use the LIGHT button to take the P-settings to P3 (also referred to as the Sport Mode in that model)
- Press the SET button (labeled as S)
- Release the electronic brake lever
- Turn on the electric scooter to enjoy the full speeds.
This method doesn’t work for all the electric scooters and as such, should it fail on yours, be sure to try the others described above.
FAQs about electric scooter speed limiter removal
Below are some of the Frequently Asked Questions about e scooter speed limiter removal we often receive:
Xiaomi 1s remove speed limit tips?
If you own a Xiaomi 1S electric scooter, you can follow these tips to do your scooter speed limiter removal:
- Download the M365 DownG Mobile App for Android and IOS and install it
- On your browser, download the Xiaomi M365 Max Speed Firmware
- Open the installed M365 App and click the connect button
- Click the Check Version prompt
- Click the Open Bin button
- On the very Open Bin prompt, search for the Max Speed Firmware you have downloaded earlier on
- Tap the flash button. That way, you will have removed the speed limit on a Xiaomi 1s electric scooter.
It’s important to note that this process works for the older Xiaomi 1S model. If you have the newest model, then you can visit Scooter Hacking. They have provided the custom firmware process to remove the speed limiter on Xiaomi electric scooter models.
Razor electric scooter speed limiter removal: How do I do it?
Regardless of the Razor electric scooter you own, knowing how to unlock the speed on your scooter rocks. Thankfully, the process isn’t as complicated.
- Get a Philips head screwdriver, a pair of pliers, and a 3mm Allen key
- Take off all the screws from the deck and keep them in such a way that taking them back is simple
- The purpose of the pliers is to remove some of the nuts
- Now disconnect all the connectors of the speed controller
- As you look closely, you will see that there is a shunt whose function is to limit the current going into the motor
- Increasing the size of the shunt and soldering it with copper will make more current pass to the motor, which will remove the speed limit of your Razor electric scooter
- Re-assemble all the screws to their right places and get spinning!
To make the process even easier for you, we have attached a video on how best you can remove speed limiter on any Razor model.
In Summary: How to remove speed limiter on electric scooter
There are different ways to remove the speed limiter on an electric scooter. These methods vary from a specific electric scooter manufacturer or model to the other and as such, how one can unlock theirs doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be the case with you, too.